Edition date: (v3) 28 Oct 2019
Wordshark v5 and Numbershark v5 DVDs: Regrettably, 10.15 Catalina has removed the ability to run the Wordshark 5 and Numbershark DVD products: These were discontinued some years ago, but some customers may still be using these. We advise that you either do not update to Catalina, OR you contact us for prices for the Download Product, OR you use your v5 DVD on a Windows 7,8 or 10 computer.
Wordshark v5 and Numbershark v5 Downloads and USB Products: These work substantially as designed, and install / run well on these latest Mac OS X releases. However, features introduced in the macOS update 10.14 Mojave (Sept 18) and 10.15 Catalina (Sept 19) have caused minor issues for Wordshark 5 and Numbershark 5 downloads and USB products: We are aware and working towards a resolution, but this is proving more time-consuming than for most OSX updates.
The main issue experienced is that many users find they do NOT have the latest “Java Runtime” installed. To check whether you have Java 7 or later versions, look in System Preferences for a Java icon. You will need release JDK 8u231 or later fir Mac OS X from https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
If you get the message "Unable to load Java Runtime Environment", this is caused where there is no Java, or an outdated version of Java installed. Wordshark and Numbershark need the Java programming language to run, and this is no longer bundled with Mac OS X. Please download the latest release from www.java.com, then install it. You may then need to then re-start your browser (close all browser windows and re-open.) Most Catalina users WILL need to read advice from Oracle (Java producer) to install successfully. This is available from: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/using-jdk-jre-macos-catalina-5781620.html
All other issues are minor and most go unnoticed. We are aware of these:
- A very small number of users have reported that Wordshark 5 and Numbershark 5 downloads have given an error “Can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer”. Fix: go to “System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Allow [Word][Number]shark 5 to run anyway”
- There is a slight delay between entering a name being prompted for a password
- There is a slight delay when signing in with a pupil account
- The option to change a user icon is not working (Settings for username/Your icon)
- When setting work, if you select a green heading and drop this into the basket the topic/word list, the heading does not appear. Fix: Click on the heading again to choose individual lists or mixed lists. The list will appear.
- Using the “Quick sign on” from within an Admin account: After choosing a student there is a slight delay in signing in. Further, if this student is a new user, who has not yet logged into the program, the student selection box cannot be closed until you exit from the welcome video.
- On first log in the Admin is unable to “Add students” (from within the Admin / Add and manage menu). Clicking on the menu “Admin/Add and Manage students and staff” closes the window but leaves the program open in the dock. Fix: A restart of the program appears to resolve this issue. IF using the USB product, closing the program, ejecting the USB, removing from the USB port then reinserting the USB and re-opening the program resolves this issue.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would appreciate an email from us if/when we manage to produce a patch to resolve any of these issues for the Download and USB products.
We will appreciate an email from you if you notice any malfunction that is NOT on the following list of known issues already identified: